Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 6 - A Taste of Honduras

Honduras VS Chile
Spain VS Switzerland
South Africa VS Uruguay

I can’t believe it is only day six. I’m glad I don’t have to write a daily column for a living. I feel like I am ready to start repeating myself.

To get a taste of Honduras I had to go to La Bella Managua, a Nicaraguan restaurant on Bloor near Ossington. Some friends recommended the place to me saying that it was owned by a man from Honduras. When I arrived there were no customers, there was some Spanish music playing and looking around, it was clearly a mom and pop restaurant. I took a seat near the front. The waitress had a thick Spanish accent and was patient with my enquiring questions about the Honduran and Nicaraguan cuisines. She said all the food in the neighbouring countries were similar.

I examined the menu and made sure I ordered something that had plantains. I settled on Carne Asada. While my meal was being prepared, a mother and her young daughter arrived. They must have been regulars as their food was ready and waiting for them. When my plate arrived it was full of food. There were two pieces of flavourful boneless beefsteak, fried plantains, rice and beans, avocado slices and cabbage salad. I didn’t do a very good job with the picture and sometimes I feel like a goof taking pictures of my food, particularly when I am by myself, which was true in this case. So I snapped two pictures and quickly put my camera away. Here is a link to a better picture but there are more plantains and avocado than I had.



I was quite content with the meal, however I thought fried plantains were suppose to be crispy. There was an interesting looking dessert on the menu but I decided to save that for a future visit.

Another table of regulars showed up just as I was getting ready to leave. The man that I assumed owned the place came out and had a brief conversation with them before I headed to the counter to pay. I spoke with him for a bit about the world cup. He was really friendly and the type of restaurant owner that makes you want to come back just to hear what he might have to say the next time. I’ll have to put La Bella Managua on my list of places to return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment