Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 12 - A Taste of Mexico

France VS South Africa
Mexico VS Uruguay
Greece VS Argentina
Nigeria VS Korea

The Mexican that served me the day before was kind enough to recommend a Mexican restaurant on St. Clair; Esta noche cena pancho. I went online to find more details but all I was coming up with was a movie by that name. I’ll have to go back sometime and ask exactly where it is at. Another friend had recommended El Sol on the far end of the Danforth. With G20 protests already starting I decided I wanted to go to something I could walk to. I hate it when I get stuck on the subway and that happens often when there is nothing happening in the city.

I needed to find something downtown. I’ve already been to the three popular burrito places; Burrito Boyz, z-teca and Chipotle (my favourite). I’ve also been to Hernado’s Hideaway, Margarita’s, Mexitaco and Milagro. So I decided to head to Chimichanga in Yorkville.

When I lived outside of Boston, there were two really good Mexican restaurants near my place. One of them had amazing chicken chimichangas. Ever since I moved to Toronto, I have been on the lookout for a great chicken chimichanga. I had high hopes for Chimichanga just because of the name.

When I got to the restaurant I positioned myself near the front window so that I would get some good natural light for my picture. There was one chicken chimichanga on the menu that was listed as “New York Style” but I had to try it, even if it wasn’t true Mexican. Just after ordering, two tables of two came in. One of them sat at the table for four directly between me and my natural light. I was cursing them in my head since there were four other tables for two they could have sat at near the window.

You know that commercial with the ice cream and two kids where one of the kids is “new-er” than the other so he gets some ice cream? Well I felt like the kid that didn’t get the ice cream. Both of the tables for two received nachos and fresh guacamole without asking. I wanted some guacamole too! Thankfully I received my food at the same time and my chimichanga was HUGE! I couldn’t finish it and I was stuffed! I didn’t need the nachos and guacamole, but I still would have like to have tried some.



The chimichanga was very good but still not as good as the ones I had in Boston. My hunt will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment