Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 13 - A Taste of Germany

USA VS Algeria
Slovenia VS England
Australia VS Serbia
Ghana VS Germany

At Queen and Sherbourne there is a little place called Schnitzel Queen. Approaching the place there is a real sketchy feeling, partly because there are a number of sketchy people hanging out in the area and partly because the first thing you see of the restaurant is a rusty old sign hanging out front. I examined the menu hanging in the window for a minute and then made my way inside.

The interior was a very clean looking mom and pop takeout place. There were no tables, just four bar chairs pushed up to the counter that you could sit on while you waited. The man and the woman working inside were both focused on their work but still pleasant. I ordered the Bayern schnitzel sandwich that gets topped with cheddar cheese and sauerkraut. While I waited I was checking out some news clippings on the wall and didn’t see the sandwich before it was packaged up. I paid and quietly left with my takeout container.

When I got home I was surprised at how big the sandwich was. It’s sitting on one of my dinner plates in the picture. Half of it was sufficient for my lunch. I’ll have the other half for supper tonight.



This place is a nice little find but its hours are not very good; 11AM to 5PM Monday to Friday according to the menu I picked up. Maybe if I am working from home one day I can pick up some lunch, or maybe I’ll go on my next staycation.


On a side note, I’m disappointed I didn’t feel the earthquake today. I’m either living in a good building or the frequency of the quake in combination with the height of my building or the floor I am on negated the effect. It’s also possible that I was too distracted by all the air force one type helicopters flying around my apartment at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment