Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 5 - A Taste of New Zealand/Australia

New Zealand VS Slovakia
Ivory Coast VS Portugal
Brazil VS Korea DPR

I think it is safe to say that neither New Zealand nor Australia will be making it through to the next round. I think it is also safe to say that there are few restaurant options in Toronto for these two. My online research turned up three locations.

The first option was Hemingways. The opening flash screen on their website clearly indicates their New Zealand connection but, being unfamiliar with New Zealand cuisine, the menu looked like they had their own Taste of the World Cup happening. Apparently New Zealand cuisine pulls from a lot of other cultures but having souvlaki, fajitas and butter chicken all on the same menu seems a little far reaching. Plus I’ve been there a number of times for drinks so I quickly discounted it.

The next option I found was the Stone Grill located at 51B Winchester, just off of Parliament. Here your meal is presented and prepared on a cooking stone. This is, or I have a feeling was, a common cooking method for both countries. The menu also lists New Zealand lamb and New Zealand ostrich as options. So you can cook and eat like you’re in New Zealand.

The last option I found was he Gourmet Burger Co. This burger chain was created by an Australian and claims to make burgers the Aussie way. They have a few locations including one on Charles Street and one on Parliament, not far from the Stone Grill. On the menu they have a New Zealand lamb burger and an “Aussie” burger. I decided I wanted to try the Aussie burger.

The burger has some common toppings; lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and bacon. It also has some less common toppings; a fried egg, beets and a thin slice of pineapple. When I got my burger it was neatly wrapped in some brown paper. Once unwrapped, it was a little messy to eat. I tasted the cheese and bacon flavours more so than the other toppings and occasionally tasted the sweetness of the pineapple. It was pretty good.



I wonder how many of these burgers they sell a day and if a lot of people are turned off by the beets and pineapple.


On a side note, I was a little disappointed today that the New Zealand All Whites didn’t do the haka. The team captain claimed they weren’t a particularly intimidating looking bunch. In comparison to the All Blacks, I agree.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, New Zealand captain is right, the haka would be out of place in a sport where participants routinely roll around the pitch crying in agony after every little bit of contact. Fuck, soccer players are whiny little bitches.

    ReplyDelete