Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 10 - A Taste of Brazil

Slovakia VS Paraguay
Italy VS New Zealand
Brazil VS Ivory Coast

When trying to find a Brazilian place to eat in Toronto, Red Violin is always one of the top places recommended. I have been there a few times and feasted on the amazing salad bar that was much more than salad and gorged on a dozed or so types of meat presented on mini swords. Each time, the night ended with Brazilian dancers. I’d love to go back again just for the salad bar but not this week.

A Brazilian friend of mine was taking his family to watch the game at a Brazilian bar so a few of us decided to join him. He had tried to make reservations at Rio 40 on St. Clair but they were already over booked, so he booked us at Vivid Lounge just down the street. When I arrived 30 minutes before kick off, the place was already near capacity and there were dozens of people outside still begging to get in.

Once inside I got a small taste of Brazilian food and a loud taste of their music. The fans came with there own drums, shakers and tambourines. They spent much of the second half chanting. It was as loud as a dance club in there and there were plenty of people dancing. It was also very warm. My decision to wear jeans was a poor one. I had them rolled up to my knees to help keep myself cool.

Much of the heat inside must have been coming from the kitchen which was in the middle of the bar. I never saw a menu while I was there but there appeared to be only two snack items that were Brazilian; coxinha and risolis.

The coxinha was dough that had been filled with shredded chicken, herbs and some corn, then formed into a water drop shape. (After checking online, it is supposed to be in the shape of a chicken drumstick. They looked more like water drops to me.) It seemed to have been deep fried as it was a little oily but otherwise good.



The risolis used the same dough as the coxinha but was stuffed with ground beef and possibly some olives and formed into a small, flat panzerotti or empanada shape. It too was oily but still good. (This picture is not very good. The light above the table was red for some reason so I’ve had to play with the colour a little on the picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment