Sunday, July 3, 2011

Where's The Beef?

I went Southeast of Yonge and Bloor this week. I had noticed an organic restaurant, Camros Organic Eatery, and thought I would give it a try. I examined their online menu and halfway through I wondered "where's the beef?!". Turns out the place is also vegetarian, vegan to be precise. The vegan part seems a little more important than the organic part. I think I would have put vegan in the name instead. I did some more reading of their menu and discovered that it's also Persian. Hmmm, the "Camros Organic, Vegan, Persian Eatery". Okay maybe that's a mouthful.

I ordered the 3 item combo and selected the green patty, millet salad and tomato fennel soup. As I examined my tray of food I felt a little sceptical about my restaurant selection. I sampled a piece of my green patty. I was delighted! The patty was made with potato, rice, dill, cilantro, turmeric and a few other ingredients. The dill was the first flavour I tasted and I love dill! This thing was a hit in my book.

I then tried the millet salad. I was again delighted! It was made with millet, chickpeas, red onion, green onion, parsley and a few other ingredients, then topped with a dressing. I chose zesty lemon dressing. I think a lot of the flavour came from the dressing. Another hit!


Then it was time to try the tomato fennel soup. It was pretty good. Not as good as the other two things but certainly nothing to complain about.


I was in and out of the place in less than 20 minutes. I still felt a little hungry after I left but they say it takes 20 minutes for your body to register the food in your stomach. I don't think I felt hungry at all for the rest of the night but I do think that most people would need to order the 4 item combo.

In planning to return, I asked the staff about the availability of the millet salad and green patties. Their menu is on a two week rotation, which means I would have to show up two weeks later if I wanted to eat these particular items again.

I give the place two thumbs up and hope that the rest of the items on their menu are as delicious. Based on other reviews I have read I suspect they are.

1 comment:

  1. I am so envious that a) you have enough interesting eating places to explore (a lot of places in Canada are not so lucky) and b) there are so many creative vegetarian/vegan places to try! It's great reading about your experiments!

    ReplyDelete