Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'll "Tell You" About Another Taste of Italy: Dimmi

This week I had supper at Dimmi Bar and Trattoria.  They have a small patio out front that they seem to have made the most of filling it with an arrangement of tables for two that can easily be converted into tables of 4 or 6. It's a great patio for people watching with the constant flow of traffic along Cumberland and from the side alley from Yorkville.  The two men sitting two tables away from me certainly enjoyed the view, stopping their conversation to ogle a blonde bimbo with a very short skirt as she passed by.  The patio is also good for car watching.  You get almost every kind of car going down the street from the clunkers to luxury cars.  There were the lower end BMWs, Audis and Mercedes to the high end Porsches, Bentleys and Ferraris.  I'm sure many other luxury cars make an appearance on Cumberland but those were the ones I saw while I was there.

For supper I ordered the "Fettucine Alla Riviera", a seafood fettuccine in a tomato sauce.  The waitress delivered a basket of bread while I waited for my food with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.  There was way too much bread for me and I kind of felt bad for wasting it. My pasta arrived and smelled excellent.  On tasting it, all the seafood seemed very fresh.  I liked it.  I didn't use my good camera to take the picture even though I had it on me.  I didn't want to be one of the people that everyone was watching.  The waitress also put some parmesan on it before I took the picture so I tried to mix it in a bit so it wouldn't just look white in the picture.


Their patio is great in the evening for people like me since it sits in the shade of the building.  It also has a retractable awing which was extended when I first got there.  They retracted it before I left and seemed to turn on some water misters just as I was leaving.  I took a stroll down the side alley that so many people were traveling through and discovered a side patio to the restaurant.  It's narrow and can only accommodate a few tables for two but away from the street traffic in case you don't like car watching. ;)

The one thing about eating on the patio is that you never actually see the inside of the restaurant unless you take a washroom break.  There could be a whole different dynamic to the dining experience inside.  I guess I'll have to go back another time and check it out.

Side Note:  If the online dictionary is correct dimmi means "tell me", hence the title of this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment