Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bad Dinners and Bad Dates

I went to the Bloor Street Diner last week. They have a decent patio but I can't say much for the food. I ordered the seared snapper. The rice was just rice. The salad was just greens. The fish was a little over cooked. The mango salsa was pretty good but there needed to a lot more of it to make up for the rest of the dish. I ordered a drink based on the waitress' recommendation. Nothing special there either.


The most interesting thing at this place was the conversation at the next table. Two girls were sitting at the table across from me, waiting for their third friend to show up. Their conversation turned to dating, bad dates in particular. I can relate! One of her bad dates spent the night correcting her grammar. I know I'm a bad speller and I probably have bad grammar and punctuation too but that's not something I or she would want to hear about on a date. Someone else she went out with told her at the end of the date he was just looking for a blond bimbo to sit on his boat and look good. Given that she was a brunette and at least a little overweight, I don't know why he wouldn't have told her that at the beginning of the date. Maybe that was just his excuse not to call her again. Some other guy thought that women should stay home and raise the children. Apparently he also believed in assisted suicide and may have assisted his ailing mother in ending her life. Not a good topic for a first date but I guess it has to come up sooner or later if he feels strongly about those things. The last guy I heard her speak of was someone that turned out to be a former colleague that she did not get along with. It also turned out that he had spent some time in prison in recent years.

After that the third friend showed up, who was pregnant, so the conversation switched from dating to maternity topics, something I know very little about even though everyone around me seems to be having babies.

So even though the food was nothing special, at least I know I'm not the only one still having bad dates!

No comments:

Post a Comment