Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Bowery

Colborne Street is an interesting street that I don't appreciate enough. There are a few restaurants on it that I've never really checked out. I've only recently gone into P.J. O'Brien and loved it. There is a Thai place and Colborne Lane, both of which I've been meaning to try. Tom Jones Steakhouse is there too along with Pat Quinn Lounge. The most recent addition is The Bowery. I noticed the signage going up a few of weeks ago. Instead of procrastinating I took the first opportunity to go there with a good friend.

I made a reservation anticipating the usual large crowds that tend to show up at most new restaurants in Toronto. On their second Saturday of operation at 6PM, it was rather quiet. It did get busier as we progressed through our meal but I was a little surprised it wasn't busier. Then again, Colborne street doesn't get heavy foot traffic and I only noticed it because I was bored with my usual route to the subway and switched it up for a couple of days.

All of the Bowery's menus are presented on clipboards which vary according to the size of the menu you are examining. This seems like a smart idea to me given that a lot of people tend to turn paper menus into placemats. The next person then gets a deformed menu in the areas where condensation collected from the drink that was placed on it.

Yes, I have been the recipient of a number of such menus.


I think I was in the mood for something with mushrooms and as a result I ordered their ricotta gnocchi which was also topped with asparagus. It was delicious!


My friend ordered the strip loin and spaetzle. I don't think I had ever heard of spaetzle before. German's have some unique culinary items. It's too bad that Germans don't open more restaurants here so that we could experience more of their traditional dishes.



I normally don't bother with dessert but we had some time to kill before heading off to a friend's party, so I made an exception. I ordered the rhubarb tatin and I am super glad we decided to have dessert. It had a shortbread base layered with a rhubarb filling then a poached apple slice with a sugar sauce on top and a small scoop of sorbet beside it. Super good!


My friend had the chocolate brownie. That looked very good as well.


The prices might have been a touch higher than what they needed to be but good food like that is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment