Monday, June 16, 2014

A Taste of Germany: The Beer Hall

Time to pull out the lederhosen and dirndl and celebrate with a German beer!  Anyone that knows me know it's a rare occasion to see a beer in my hand.  You have almost as much chance to see me in a dirndl (which currently happens once a year around Halloween).  Today however a beer seemed to be required, especially since my lunch location of choice was The Beer Hall in the distillery district.  I followed my friend's lead and ordered a pint of Weizenbock.  I was actually quite okay with it.  I'd consider ordering it again if a beer was required in the future.  I hope that says something good about the beer!


For lunch I ordered the most German thing I could find and that was the schnitzel sandwich.  To add a little bit of something healthy I got it with the arugula salad instead of fries.  As large as the schnitzel was I'm afraid it just can't compare with the schnitzel sandwiches at Schnitzel Queen.  Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty good but not the best schnitzel in the neighbourhood.  In my opinion, if you want to have something German at the Beer Hall, go for their dinner menu which has a schnitzel served with spaetzle and braised red cabbage.  That's a better choice.  I would have preferred to have had that for lunch but it was not included on the lunch menu. (There is a picture of spaetzle in this post if you want to see what it looks like.)


To add a little more German to my lunch I ordered a plate of pretzels.  I really liked these.  They were soft and warm and not too salty.  The cheese dip was pretty good too.  The flavour was on the mild side and was a mix of beer, cheddar and mustard.  I'd say it's a good accompaniment to a glass of beer if you are sitting around watching a game.


The Beer Hall wasn't very busy, most likely because it's a Monday.  They have a very large patio that is perfect for soaking in some summer sun and there are lots of TVs inside all year long if you are ever looking for someplace to take in a game at any time of the year.  It's definitely worth a visit any time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment