Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Taste of Belgium: Le Petit Dejeuner

There is a restaurant in my neighbourhood that I always assumed was French.  By chance this week I discovered that it was actually Belgian.  Le Petit Dejeuner is a popular brunch spot on Sundays.  It seems like there is always a line waiting to get whenever I walk by after 10AM on a Sunday.  I didn’t want to get caught in that crowd so I got over there just after they opened at 9:00AM. 

There were already a number of tables taken when I arrived and since I was there on my own this morning I took a seat at the bar.  There was a Belgian flag hanging on the wall and one of the waitresses was wearing a Belgian jersey.  I could see two TVs in the space, one at the back and one behind the bar both of which were showing the formula one race as the soccer games were still a few hours away.

My decision on what to eat was pretty easy.  There were a few options for Belgian waffles on the menu but I stuck with the "Brussels’ Strawberries".  I can’t remember the last time I ordered waffles but it has definitely been years.  I was picturing my waffles coming out with a generous serving of strawberry syrup, the kind I remember from my youth.  What I got was much better; waffles with fresh cut strawberries and julienned apple. 


Even though I don’t eat a lot of pancakes or waffles as an adult I still like to have a lot of maple syrup on them.  These waffles came with a small serving of syrup on the side.  I think I could have used two or three of them for the amount of syrup I typically like to have.  That’s about the only thing I would have changed with this but everyone has their own tastes for that sort of thing.  Plus with the amount it came with it meant that I could actually taste the waffle instead of just syrup. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment