Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Taste of France: Le Neuf Cafe

Today I went out for a French breakfast near Spadina and Wellington.  There is a small park at the intersection that is lined with some townhouses that I never paid much attention to.  Turns out there are some businesses in them including a French café named Le Neuf Café.  Doing some research on the place I got a little excited and I have to say it did not disappoint.

The interior of the place was decorated with a lot of French art, some classic French photos including one of Edith Piaf, books on French stuff, small statues of things like the Eiffel tower and even boxes from French businesses like Laduree.  No opportunity to incorporate French culture was lost.  From the high ceilings to the coasters and napkin dispensers, it all said France to me.  The napkin dispenser on my table in particular had the Little Prince decorating it.



I don’t eat a lot of almond croissants but I occasionally have one as a treat and today was going to be treat day.  Le Neuf’s almond croissant may have been the best one I’ve had. I’m used to them being filled with a line of almond paste just in the center but this one had almond paste throughout, a healthy sprinkling of almonds on top and a dusting of icing sugar.  Yummy!


For my main dish I ordered the montagnarde crepe.  I loved the presentation with the egg yolk centered and peeking out from the crepe.  There seemed to be more cheese than egg in the crepe but I think that’s how the French like it.



I like how quaint the place feels.  If it was closer to my neighbourhood I think I would be in there often.  I do highly recommend others check it out with one catch.  There were two people serving the customers.  The waiter I had was good and friendly.  As I left I decided to take a picture of the exterior with my larger camera.  I took one picture just as the waiter that was serving the customers on the patio was coming out.  As I snapped a second picture for good measure, he appeared to wag his finger at me as if to say “no, no”. (The finger turned out to be a spoon on closer examination of the picture.)  So I’m not sure if you may get some stereotypical French attitude from some of the staff if you “step out of line”.  I hope not.  If any of you should happen to go, please let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment