Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Taste of Greece: Olympos Crow-bar

There is a Greek place in my neighbourhood called Olympos Crow-bar that I’ve known of for years but just never went too, mostly because of their short hours.  They are only open Monday to Friday for breakfast and lunch which is generally when I am away from the neighbourhood but not today.  So I took a walk over to check it out.

It’s a small mom and pop place that seems to be run by some older Greek gentlemen or at least I assume they are Greek.  The place has a Greek name and one of the guys was named Jimmy so it seems a safe bet.  Both of them are quite friendly but in what I would call an old man friendly kind of way.  Like if you ask for something they will initially say no but then hand you what you asked for with a half-smile.

I got there at the end of the lunch hour so there were only a couple of tables taken and a few people sitting at the counter on the bar stools.  The menus are all on the wall behind the counter with a few additional items printed on smaller posters on the walls.  I ordered the gyro platter.  It was exactly what I expected it to be and was quite satisfying. 


I’m not sure if it is a regular menu item or a special of the day since it was on one of the small posters that can easily be removed.

Two women sitting at the counter ordered a milkshake.  It looked really big and even they commented on the size.  They seemed to enjoy it.  I’d say if you have a thing for milkshakes it might be worth checking theirs out.

I don’t know how long the place has been there but they clearly have a number of regulars which is always a good sign.  If you like mom and pop restaurants or a greasy spoon then this is definitely worth checking out.  Make sure you bring cash or your debit card.  They don’t take credit cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment